Yorkgate Quarry, also known as West Chevin Quarry

Yorkgate Quarry was the last piece of land on The Chevin to be actively quarried.

Like East Chevin Quarry, this land has changed hands several times, finally finding iotself under the ownership of Leeds City Council.

In 1891, farmers John and Joseph Hird granted permission to quarrymen William Clapham of Guiseley and William and Thomas Maston from Otley. The contract to extract sandstone from the quarry was for two years ending 1st Ocober 1893 and included the requirement to keep the road in repair.

In 1949, planning permission was granted for the surface excavation of sandstone. At the time of the application the company employed seven quarry workers and blasting for the extraction of stone occurred about once a fortnight.

However, by 1967 there were local concerns about Aberford Quarries, the owners at that time, extending their quarrying activities. Aberford had requested that the public footpath which runs along the top of the quarry be diverted to enable further extraction of stone. They wanted to extract stone over the lip of the summit and 150 metres down the slope. However, in 1949 permission to extend their quarrying was made with the proviso that they should not affect the outline of The Chevin.

A local campaign "Save The Chevin' developed and funds were sought to oppose this request. Between 1967 and 1973, local respected men including Arthur Gemmel, Eric Cowling and Edward Winpenny mounted a successful campaign to prevent this from taking place. Local fears were that further incursion into the hillside would destroy the outline of The Chevin and that blasting operations could affect West Chevin Road, water courses and cause a landslip. After a long and bitter battle, the Minister of Transport decided that the footpath would not be diverted due to its amenity value. This overturned the agreement made by West Riding County Council for Aberford to expand their operations and divert the footpath.